Taking your classic ceasar to the next level with our T-H-Ceasar. A great option to keep guests who are more herb friendly included throughout the party. This mixed drink uses our Farm & Florist Truffle Hot sauce found in our Dynamic Duo Trattoria pack.
- Full chicken
- Poultry blend (Sage, Thyme Parsley and Oregano)
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Shallot
- 15 -20 Tiny potatoes
- 1/4 cup of butter (room temp)
- 1 lemon
Truffle Calabria Aioli:
- Trattoria Pack: 30 mL Truffle Oil and 30 mL Truffle Hot sauce
- 1/2 a bunch of Parsley
- 1/2 a Lemon
- Calabria Pepper
- 1/3 cup of Mayo
Tips & Techniques
- Butter Application:
- Applying butter underneath the skin helps in flavour infusion and keeps the meat juicy. Use your fingers or a spoon to gently separate the skin from the meat without tearing it.
- Use fresh herbs for the poultry blends for a more aromatic and flavorful outcome. Ensure there are 1 to 2 teaspoons of each herb for a balanced taste.
- Lemon Stuffing:
- Stuffing the chicken with lemon not only adds flavor but also helps in keeping the meat moist. Make sure to tie the chicken well to keep the lemon in place.
- For enhanced flavor, consider marinating the chicken with the herb and butter mixture for at least an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Add the boiled potatoes to the pan when the garlic is fragrant to absorb the flavor. Ensure the pan is hot to get a nice crispy texture.
- Resting the Chicken:
- Letting the chicken rest is crucial to ensure the meat remains juicy and flavorful. It makes the chicken easier to carve as well.
- Choosing Potatoes:
- Roasted or fingerling potatoes work best for this recipe due to their size and texture. Ensure they are evenly cooked and crispy before serving.
Preparation of Herbs and Vegetables:
- Start by prepping your poultry blend consisting of sage, thyme, parsley, and oregano. Finely chop these herbs for a more intense flavor.
- Peel and mince 4 cloves of garlic and 1 shallot. Keep some garlic aside for the potatoes.
- Preparing the Chicken:
- Pat the chicken dry to ensure the butter and herb mix adheres well.
- Mix the poultry blend with room-temperature butter, ensuring an even consistency. Gently lift the skin of the chicken and spread the mixture underneath the skin, covering as much area as possible to infuse flavour and ensure juiciness.
- Insert half a lemon inside the cavity. You can quarter the lemon to make it fit better. Tie the chicken with a cooking string to hold its shape for even cooking.
- Roasting the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Place the chicken on a roasting tray with aluminum foil for easy cleanup—Roast for about 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C). Use a meat thermometer for accuracy.
- Preparing the Potatoes:
- While the chicken is roasting, wash the tiny potatoes thoroughly. Boil them in salted water on the stove until 3/4 cooked, which should take around 10-15 minutes, depending on their size.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly. Smash them gently to flatten them without completely breaking them apart.
- Pan Frying the Potatoes:
- In a pan, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the reserved chopped garlic, and sauté until fragrant. Add the flattened potatoes and pan fry until they are crispy and golden brown. Sprinkle some salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.
- Making Truffle Calabria Aioli:
- Mix 30 mL of truffle oil and 30 mL of truffle hot sauce in a bowl. Finely chop half a bunch of parsley and 2-5 Calabria peppers (depending on spice) and mix it in.
- Add the juice of half a lemon and 1/3 cup of mayo. Whisk everything together until smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Let the roasted chicken rest for at least 20 minutes before cutting, to allow the juices to redistribute.
- Serve the chicken alongside the crispy pan-fried potatoes and a generous dollop of Truffle Calabria Aioli.
We hope this enhanced recipe offers clear steps and helpful tips to make a delicious half chicken with truffle Calabria aioli and pan-fried smashed potatoes!