CBD Pesto Pasta with Shrimp
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup seeded chopped plum tomato
- 6 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 table spoons Farm & Florist CBD Olive Oil
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup halved multicolored grape tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Tips and Techniques
- We quickly blanch spinach and basil to preserve the color without diluting flavor, then bump up the green with fresh parsley.
- A little chopped tomato adds moisture and mild acidity.
- Be sure to press the plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pesto to keep it from browning.
- To prepare pesto, bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add spinach and basil; cook 20 seconds. Remove spinach mixture to a bowl filled with ice water (reserve water in pan); let stand 30 seconds. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place parsley and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in food processor; process until finely chopped. Add spinach mixture and 2 tablespoons oil; process to combine. Place 3/4 cup pesto in a small bowl; place plastic wrap directly on pesto.
- To prepare pasta, return water in pan to a boil. Add pasta; cook according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high until butter melts. Sprinkle shrimp with red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add shrimp to pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from pan.
- Add pasta mixture and reserved 3/4 cup cooking liquid to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in remaining 6 tablespoons pesto, shrimp, grape tomatoes, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 bowls. Drizzle 1 tsp of CBD Olive Oil to finish.
The CBD pesto pasta should be Al Dente with an explosion of pesto flavor.