(Serves 3 people)
- 1 TBL of Farm + Florist Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 TBL Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Crushed.
- 6 Mushrooms, Sliced.
- 1 1⁄2 CUPS Arborio Rice
- 1 CUP Diced Pumpkin
- 3 -4 CUPS Hot Stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1⁄2 CUP Grated Parmesean Cheese
- Salt to taste
- 1 TSP of ground Black Pepper
- 1 Pinch of Crushed Chillis
- 1⁄ 2 CUP chopped fresh Parsley (optional)
Tips and Techniques
- Use Butternut Squash for a sweeter flavour.
- Do not overcook the squash. Leave it Al-dente.
- Heat butter and oil together in a large saucepan or frypan.
- Gently cook the onion and garlic.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring until the rice is coated in the oil mix.
- Cook this about 1 minute.
- Stir in the pumpkin and mushrooms.
- Pour over 1 cup of the hot stock.
- Cook, stirring often until the liquid is almost all absorbed.
- You don’t want the liquid to be boiling in with the rice, just a gentle simmer.
- Continue stirring and adding stock one cup at a time until the stock is all completely absorbed and the rice is tender.
- This takes about 20 minutes.
- You don’t need to stand there stirring the whole time if you use a non-stick pot and return often.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, seasoning and parsley.
- It will go lovely and sticky with the cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Pumpkin should taste smooth, but not mushy. Sharp and creamy taste. Rice should be cooked to an al-dente level.